About Transferring Copyright to IEEE

You must transfer your conference paper’s ownership or copyright to IEEE before it can be published in the IEEE Xplore® Digital Library. Signing the IEEE Copyright Form will transfer the copyright to IEEE.

The Electronic IEEE Copyright Form (eCF) makes signing the copyright form easy by enabling you to complete it on-screen. You will receive a link to the eCF after your paper is accepted for publication.

Government Employees

Papers written by government employees may require a different copyright form. The eCF will determine the appropriate form for your situation. When a paper is the work of both government and non-government employees, have one of the non-government employees sign the IEEE copyright form.

Frequently Asked Questions About IEEE Copyright

Can I reuse material from a previous article I published with IEEE?

Although authors are permitted to reuse all or portions of the work in other works, this does not include granting third-party requests for reprinting, republishing, or other types of reuse. Permission is required.

Can I reuse my published article in my thesis?

You may reuse your published article in your thesis or dissertation without requesting permission, provided that you fulfill the following requirements depending on which aspects of the article you wish to reuse.

When posting your thesis on your university website, include the following message:

“In reference to IEEE copyrighted material which is used with permission in this thesis, the IEEE does not endorse any of [name of university or educational entity]’s products or services. Internal or personal use of this material is permitted. If interested in reprinting/republishing IEEE copyrighted material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution, please go to http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/rights/rights_link.html to learn how to obtain a License from RightsLink. If applicable, University Microfilms and/or ProQuest Library, or the Archives of Canada may supply single copies of the dissertation.”

Only the accepted version of your article, not the final published version, may be posted online in your thesis.

Do I need permission to republish in another language?

Yes, you will need to request a license that includes translation rights. Use the RightsLink procedure outlined above to submit the request. The license you receive from RightsLink will include guidelines and a disclaimer to be displayed on the translated article.

Do I need permission to reuse IEEE material in another IEEE publication?

You may reuse small portions of text (up to several paragraphs) and graphics from one IEEE publication in another, provided that you provide full citation to the original article. Contact pubs-permissions@ieee.org if you wish to reuse larger portions.

How can I request permission to reuse IEEE material?

Click the copyright symbol in the icon menu of the article’s Abstract page in IEEE Xplore to submit your permission request via RightsLink.

Where can I post my published article?

See our policy on posting your paper for detailed information.